Santa Maria-Style BBQ Tri-Tip
- 2-3 pound tri-tip roast
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 2 cups oak chips, soaked 2 hours
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- In a small bowl, mix the granulated garlic, salt, and pepper together and rub all over into the meat. Let stand for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Set the tri-tip over direct heat, fat side up, and sear until nicely browned, about 10 minutes. Flip over and sear other side.
- Move the tri-tip over the indirect-heat area, cover and grill until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 130 degrees F, 20-30 minutes.
- To make the tomato relish, toss the tomatoes with cooking oil, season with salt and pepper, transfer to a grill basket. Grill until charred on all sides. Transfer tomatoes to another bowl. Add parsley, olive oil, garlic paste, chilies, and onions. Stir to combine.