- 1.5 pounds of buffalo sirloin steak cubed
- 3 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cup Burgundy wine (Pinot Noir) or any other suitable red wine
- 1/4 cup Sherry
- 2 cups stock
- 1 can 14 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons thickener (arrowroot, corn starch or flour)
- 1 tablespoon water
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the cooking oil in a large braising pan until very hot. Add the sirloin and brown, about 5 minutes. Remove sirloin and juice from pan and reserve.
- Heat remaining cooking oil and saute onions, shallots and garlic until transparent about 5 minutes. Add sirloin back with the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
- Deglaze pan with sherry and stock and scrape well. Mix thickener and 1 tablespoon water thoroughly and pour into sauce. Cook until sherry reduces by 2/3 volume.
- Add Burgundy and diced tomatoes and reduce heat and cook covered for about an hour, or until sirloin is tender. Uncover and cook until burgundy has reduced by 2/3 volume. Serve over mashed potatoes or wide noodles. Sometimes includes carrots and pearl onions. Embellish as you like.